Saturday 23 December 2006

Group B Streptococcus (GBS) infection and screening

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. What follows is information that I have gathered from talking to doctors and reading related topics. In no case should be used as a reference or guide. Consult your doctor for more information on the topic. I am just a parent-to-be sharing experience.

Group B Streptococcus (GBS) is a bacteria that lives in the vagina or the rectum of 10-30% of pregnant women. Carriers of this bacteria do not feel any symptoms. This bacteria can be passed to the baby during labour if the mother is a carrier. The risk of infection on the newborn is very low. However, if the baby gets the infection the effects can be devastating. A simple test can be carried to the mother-to-be in the late stage of pregnancy (around the 35th week) in order to know whether she is a carrier of the bacteria. In case of a positive result of this test the mother is given a shot of antibiotics in vein during labour and then the baby is safe.
I want to stress here that, in case the waters break before entering into labour the shot of antibiotics should be given ASAP. I think that this last bit of information is not always stated clearly to the parents-to-be, so keep it in mind if you are a carrier.

In the UK, NHS does not perform the GBS screening systematically on pregnant women. I have heard mainly two arguments:

1) that this bacteria comes and goes so that a negative result on the week 36 does not mean that the mother is not a carrier on the day of labour (around the 40th week). I do not buy that argument because the result of the test can be known very quickly (I think) so they could perform it when you check in at the Labour Ward.

2) the risk of infection to the baby is so small that can be considered negligible. According to GBS Support, a charity that deals with all GBS related issues, 700 babies per year get this infection in the UK.

However, you can have this test done privately at a cost of around £30. We did it through the charity mentioned above, GBS Support, and are happy about it.

Related links: GBS entry at the Wikipedia, GBS Support charity.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as I was reading this I was reminded of the time this was after 1st son was born that I had a cold and the medicine they gave me was excreted in breastmilk and was decidely not healthy for baby,the dr told me to pump and throw away the milk for the 5 days I would be on the medicine which luckily I was already pumping because my son never latched properly,but anyway I wanted to let you know that it would be a good idea to have a breastpump if she is planning to nursebecause that way there she can pump alot to help keep her supply up and also she can freeze it or put some in the fridge and you would be able to get up for some of those nighttime feedings plus if she ever gets a cold where the medicine comes out in breastmilk she would still have some breastmilk in reserve so she doesn't have to swap to formula for a few days.the pump I used was a medela pump in style and they are a little pricey brand new but you can get them used on ebay and all you would have to do was replace the trumpets and tubing. but it will last through a couple of kids if you were planning on having more

26 December 2006 at 16:33  
Blogger Lindsey said...

my name is lindsey and i am a nurse midwife in the states and am very interested in your post about gbs and the differences in the uk and usa. here it is still routine to test for gbs at the 36 week visit for everyone. one bi of clarification: in order to determine if you have gbs a culture is taken. a culture takes at least 3 days to grow. which is why it cannot be rountinely done upon admission to labor and delivery. gbs is a very serious disease in the newborn and i want to praise you for having that test done despite the out of pocket cost! i feel like anything we can do to protect the newborns is a great thing!

27 December 2006 at 22:44  
Blogger admin said...

Hi everybody,

thanks for your comments.

Lindsey, the GBS test we did consisted in posting two swaps to the lab (we had previously received the pack). We posted them on Monday morning and on Tuesday afternoon (the day after) we received the result via SMS. That is why I though the result could be known very very fast. Obviously you know much more than me about this, so it could be I am mistaken about the number of days it took to have the result. I'll try to write to the lab and ask them about the time it takes to have a result.

Here in the UK, if you are a carrier of GBS you are not given antibiotics until you are in labour. Is it like this in the US as well?. I know in some other countries they treat you as soon as they know the result of the test.

thanks again,

Gabriel

28 December 2006 at 11:13  
Blogger christelle said...

Hi im pregnant and i was tested positive to the Group B Streptococcus bacteria. What i have read from the internet really frightens me and i'm well scared for my baby's life.

20 May 2009 at 21:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the exelent posts

I'll be back later.


Thank you!

Have a wonderful and fruitful new year :o)


[url=http://www.duracleanaustin.com]rug cleaning austin[/url]

24 January 2011 at 00:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its my at the start time to enter on this forum,well-founded wannat make some friends here.if its not allowed to post on this panel,will delete this thread.Nice to fit you!

---------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.sexybags.info/rssrock.html]My designer handabgs[/url]

28 November 2012 at 19:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home




Google